Re: 2.1.97 lockup.

Sean Kelly (smkelly@zombie.org)
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:20:59 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Colten Edwards wrote:

>After downing my ppp interface last night and going to bed, I woke up this
>morning to a blank screen (relatively normal situation). But my keyboard
>was dead. no matter what keys I pounded on, this situation continued, so I
>was left with options of a) pressing reset b) turning off the power. When
>I did press reset the system rebooted and everything was back to normal.
>This particular problem has occured twice in two days with .97 kernel. I
>hadn't applied any patches to the kernel, but have since applied the
>system.h patch to see if maybe something there is causing me unseen grief.
>BTW this doesn't seem to be anything consistant, it has occurred only
>after many hours of a blank screen (console blanker maybe?). SMP is turned
>off in the Makefile, Alt-Sysreq support is enabled.

I've experienced the same situations with many 2.1.9x kernels. As I've reported
to this mailing list in the past, I was able to login with a serial terminal.
Upon system examination, the only difference in the system that I could tell was
that gpm (the mouse daemon running on my ps/2 mouse) had died.

Once I restarted gpm ('gpm -t ps2' for me), the keyboard unlocked and the system
returned to normal. I do not know whether the bug exists in gpm, the kernel, or
my head, but I am most defantly having troubles with the PS/2 driver.

If you have a serial access to your machine, I suggest you run a getty on the
serial port and try this after the system freezes.