Re: crash?

Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:27:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Joel Jaeggli wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Apr 1998 linker@nightshade.ml.org wrote:
>

> > Perhaps this would be enough evedience for someone to get a court order to
> > force MS to allow someone to compair code (under NDA of course).
>
> What you kind of missed there dude, is that many operating systems,
> including linux as well as some router os's such as ios all have similar
> problems... Why, because all those people got together and agreed at one
> point on somebodys version of a standard.
[SNIPPED]

But the RFCs don't define the bugs. I have a TCP/IP "stack" source
purchased from USNET. They don't have any of these, all to common bugs.
They have their own set. You can't kill it with any (known) thing you
send it off the Ethernet.

We also recently acquired another TCP/IP stack from EBSNet. They also
have their own special kinds of bugs, completely different from USNET and
completely different from the BSD/Win/Win-NT/Linux set. You can't kill
it by feeding it garbage off-the-wire.

Therefore, I would conclude that USNET and EBSNet was able to design to
the RFCs without copying bugs.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.92 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).