Re: UltraDMA trouble

Daniel G. Link (scrooge@snafu.de)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 20:36:39 +0200

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.95.980418030613.29866A-100000@cyclone.snafu.de>,
"Daniel G. Link" <scrooge@cyclone.snafu.de> writes:
> Hi,
>
> (I am posting this here because I have a strong hunch this problem is
> kernel-related.)
>
> I am having problems in getting an IBM DHEA 38451 harddisk to work.
> (The 38451 is an IDE UltraDMA disk with a capacity of 8.4 GB).

This turned out to be a hardware problem of the mainboard, the CPU or the
memory, as the disk now seems to be working flawlessly in another one of my
systems and the corruption also happened on the old disks.

An e-mail by Alan Cox pointed me in that direction, as he suggested to me that
it might be a hardware problem. When I tried to prove his suggestion wrong by
checking the other disks, they proved him right.

Now if only memtest86 would compile :[.

Regards,
Daniel