Re: unicode (char as abstract data type)

Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 04:10:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 18 Apr 1998, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> > > That would be KOI-8, used only by Alex Belits.
> >
> > Since seventies koi8 and koi7 in various forms were used on all Russian
> > computers except mainframes and, later, DOS-based PCs. koi8 is still the
> > only charset used in Russian newsgroups and email, and I will be very
> > surprised if it will go away any soon (as well as ASCII).
> >
> Yes. But just now about 10% (or less) computers in Russia uses koi8 or koi7 :-)
> You may hate Microsoft but this is fact: in Windows you have ibm866 and
> windows-1251 and NOT koi8-r while Windows

Look closer -- Microsoft now provides koi8 fonts as well as their
original encodings.

>, DOS and Mac users in Russia more
> then user of other computer system even combined together...

Still relcom.* news hierarchy is entirely in koi8, as well as fido7.*
at the Usenet side (and 866 at Fidonet side). I have yet to see encodings
problems there.

> > Users don't bring encodings with themselves. In Russia even at the time
> > when every desktop PC with DOS was incapable of displaying anything but
> > cp866 encoding because of pseudographics in IBM charset, all email between
> > those boxes was transferred in koi8 with no problems. Now even Windows
> > users have enough clue to configure koi8 fonts there.
> >
> email is NOT the only thing for which you could use Linux. Just now my Linux
> server has 25 DOS/Windows (dual boot) clients and 12 Mac clients and I am
> REALLY have a mess with two russian encodings. I am'll wrote patch for
> netatalk, of course (solution throw UCS2 will not be ready soon :-) but this
> is real world example of problem... And PLEASE, PLEASE do not talk about
> "only english letter in filenames" -- how you could explain this for 9-11 year
> old children who not seen ANY OTHER character except Russian before in his
> life ? And this IS REAL WORLD example -- this is our Mac-users...

The compatibility problems between Mac's and everything else's files are
not limited to encodings -- resource fork causes a lot of trouble by
itself.

> > > You don't use charset labeling on your filenames, do you?
> >
> > Because I don't use non-English filenames now. However I _do_ use
> > non-English headers in email, and they are separately charset-labeled, as
> > well as message body or message body parts.
> >

> May be YOU not use non-English filenames now. But I am COULD NOT AVOID such
> usage JUST NOW -- when I am have Russian Windows95 on client this $#%^&^#
> will create "Главное меню" and "Программы" and "Рабочий стол" in home dir
> and this could not be avoided. I am could not use non-Russian Windows95 or
> Linux for our pupils. I'll be happy with Russian Linux but this is does not
> exist :-((

Some tweaking with X resources can make things pretty usable for
non-english-speaking person, however there still are a lot of
7-bits-hardcoded things.

bash (with changed .inputrc for readline), most of utilities, vi and
xemacs work fine with those names.

> But in fact most problems is not with russian letters, but with
> spaces in names -- a lot of Linux programs are confused by "Рабочий стол" not
> since there are russian letters but since there are space in name...

Shells handle those things well if quotes are used, but other programs
can be quite confused. xemacs works fine, too.

--
Alex