Re: unicode (char as abstract data type)

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Sat, 18 Apr 1998 14:03:31 +0400 (MSD)

17-Apr-98 22:51 you wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Apr 1998, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
>
> > > In a decade Unicode most likely will be in the same place
> > > where EBCDIC is now.
> >
> > That would be KOI-8, used only by Alex Belits.
>
> Since seventies koi8 and koi7 in various forms were used on all Russian
> computers except mainframes and, later, DOS-based PCs. koi8 is still the
> only charset used in Russian newsgroups and email, and I will be very
> surprised if it will go away any soon (as well as ASCII).

Yes. But just now about 10% (or less) computers in Russia uses koi8 or koi7 :-)
You may hate Microsoft but this is fact: in Windows you have ibm866 and
windows-1251 and NOT koi8-r while Windows, DOS and Mac users in Russia more
then user of other computer system even combined together...

> Users don't bring encodings with themselves. In Russia even at the time
> when every desktop PC with DOS was incapable of displaying anything but
> cp866 encoding because of pseudographics in IBM charset, all email between
> those boxes was transferred in koi8 with no problems. Now even Windows
> users have enough clue to configure koi8 fonts there.

email is NOT the only thing for which you could use Linux. Just now my Linux
server has 25 DOS/Windows (dual boot) clients and 12 Mac clients and I am
REALLY have a mess with two russian encodings. I am'll wrote patch for
netatalk, of course (solution throw UCS2 will not be ready soon :-) but this
is real world example of problem... And PLEASE, PLEASE do not talk about
"only english letter in filenames" -- how you could explain this for 9-11 year
old children who not seen ANY OTHER character except Russian before in his
life ? And this IS REAL WORLD example -- this is our Mac-users...

> > You don't use charset labeling on your filenames, do you?
>
> Because I don't use non-English filenames now. However I _do_ use
> non-English headers in email, and they are separately charset-labeled, as
> well as message body or message body parts.

May be YOU not use non-English filenames now. But I am COULD NOT AVOID such
usage JUST NOW -- when I am have Russian Windows95 on client this $#%^&^#
will create "Главное меню" and "Программы" and "Рабочий стол" in home dir
and this could not be avoided. I am could not use non-Russian Windows95 or
Linux for our pupils. I'll be happy with Russian Linux but this is does not
exist :-(( But in fact most problems is not with russian letters, but with
spaces in names -- a lot of Linux programs are confused by "Рабочий стол" not
since there are russian letters but since there are space in name...

> > > They say it, but they don't _do_ it -- and they can't do that anyway.
> >
> > At the kernel level, it's already done.
>
> No, it isn't. Kernel just uses wide characters, and no one in userspace
> seriously relies on that. If one will try to use Unicode, countless things
> in userspace will be broken, so actual unicode text is almost never comes
> close to those filesystems in other form than ASCII or local charset's
> conversion.

You are not right. I am have Russian local settings on my NT and I am still
could use "31/2 floppy" and "51/4 floppy" from "Send To" menu. And I am could
open this files in Explorer! (What a problem with "31/2 floppy" ? thare are used
one character "1/2" and this character IS NOT present in ibm866, windows-1251
or koi8-r). Yes, I am could not use this file in FAR, for example, but this is
only means that FAR is still not unicode-aware. But MS Office97, for example,
uses such filenames just fine...