Re: ISSUE: kernel hangs during PCI device probing

Robert Wilhelm (robert@physiol.med.tu-muenchen.de)
Mon, 23 Mar 1998 09:39:55 +0100

On Sun, Mar 22, 1998 at 09:46:55PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> > Looking into the PCI features of the SIS chip set, I think that such
> > thing should'nt claimed to be for PCI.
> > A PCI master that does not use PCI bursts, is just wasting about 75% of
> > the PCI bandwitch since the PCI bus is address/data multiplexed.
>
> Oh thats one of the better ones. The bttv driver has some SiS checks for
> a reason. Nevertheless it does stop the probe hanging. Maybe we arent
> checking something that the NT probe does
>
> Alan

I ran into the same problem a while ago.

This SiS5107 docking station bridge has header type 2 in his PCI config space
header.

AFAIK this is bogus and not defined by the PCI standard.

Later 2.1.x kernels do not freeze, but do a

bad:
printk(KERN_ERR "PCI: %02x:%02x [%04x/%04x/%06x] has unknown header type %02x, ignoring.\n",
bus->number, dev->devfn, dev->vendor, dev->device, class, hdr_type);

in this case.

Maybe this code could be backported for 2.0.34?

Robert