Re: Help SMP/dual PII333MHz on GA686DLX board

Sun, 22 Mar 1998 16:52:10 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Dominik Weis wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Mar 1998, Alan Cox wrote:
>
> > > I'm tearing my hair out. The second processor has 2.79 bogomips, the first
> > > has 333.41 bogomips.
> >
> > Congratulations, send the bill for your hair damage to the supplier. You
> > have yet another SMP box with faulty bios. There is a patch for 2.0.x
> > on www.uk.linux.org and there are people working on generic MTRR handling
> > for 2.1.x
> >
> I have one dumb question about that. How is NT able to work with it if the
> BIOS has problems? Or does it explain why NT has bad SMP performance(What
> I read in several magazines). I have a SMP box but I never tried to run NT
> on it.
>
> Dominik Weis
NT doesn't report any problems. If it boots, it pretends that everything
works fine, just fine. That is part of the specification for the OS
for the masses.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.90 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).