Re: bug in 2.1.89 include/net/sock.h?

David S. Miller (davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com)
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 11:40:53 -0800

From: "A.N.Kuznetsov" <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1998 22:19:57 +0300 (MSK)

Just create sock_wfree_donotwakeup and skb_set_owner_[somewhat]

I hacked up something quick like this, it was relatively straight
forward. But it seems to not make much of a performance difference
from what I've checked so far. I'll do some more research into it
before I jump to any conclusions though.

BTW Does someone remember why the check for wmem_alloc*2 < sndbuf
was removed from write wakeup routine? It also would
(hypothetically) improve scheduling, though could have bad some
interaction with tcp logic. Maybe, tcp should have its own set of
socket callbacks, which ignore sndbuf, but depend more
intelligently on tcp state.

I think it disappeared when Alan moved all generic SOCK initialization
things into core/sock.c

But just like the sock_wfree_donotwakeup() thing it may prove to be
not much of a performance gain at all.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@dm.cobaltmicro.com