Re: Warning, cua2 opened, ...

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 09:49:47 +0100 (MET)

Hi,

Alan Cox wrote:
> > > Thats fine. If you are using a serial port which has a remote adapter that
> > > is running on a high speed RS485 network where DCD is raised and lowered
> > > as packets go past
> > Huh? Strange device...
>
> Not really - thats the normal way RS485 interfaces work. Its a shared bus
> protocol. Im specifically thinking of a set of 1Mbit radio modems in this
> case

I see. Interesting.

> > fd = open( "/dev/ttyS0", O_RDWR | O_NDELAY );
> > tcgetattr( fd, &termios );
>
> Carrier dropped before the tcgetattr - IO error thank you for playing.

Hmmm, as Tytso wrote, tc[gs]etattr() is still allowed, even if read() etc.
give an I/O error. So that shouldn't be a problem.

(Didn't know that before).

> Im not averse to losing cua* but right now I have no other sane way to handle
> devices that use carrier in this way.

Don't clear CLOCAL in the first place :-)

gert

                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de