Re: OFFTOPIC: GTK and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
11 Feb 1998 15:54:06 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.Pine.LNX.3.95.980211133032.9968B-100000@nightshade.z.ml.org>,
linux kernel account <linker@nightshade.z.ml.org> wrote:
>On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Aron Griffis wrote:
>
>> On 26 Jan 1998, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
>>
>> > The GNOME project (http://www.gnome.org) aims at providing a
>> > completely freely redistributable desktop environment for Unix systems
>> > (unlike KDE which is based on the non-free Qt libs).
>>
>> This is such a bogus argument. It's unfortunate that the sole driving
>> reason for GNOME over KDE is faulty. Qt is free for developing free
>> software. If you want to develop software for profit, you purchase the
>> commercial license. Is that so hard?
>
>This kind of arrogance is typical of the KDE people!
>
>If KDE became the standard desktop enviroment under linux then commercial
>vendors could either a) develop apps that dont integrate well b) pay a
>(large) royality to TT..

US$1800 is not a large royalty to a commercial vendor.

If TT charged a large amount of money for Qt (by large, I mean US$20,000
or up) someone would have hired programmers to clone it by now.

____
david parsons \bi/ And who gives a fuck, anyway?
\/