Re: ANNOUNCE: /dev/bios - flash rom bios driver

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 18:44:20 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 1998, Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> The german computer mag CT published a flash rom writer circuit. The way I
> went was putting the "destroyed" flash chip into another computer after it
> bootet correctly and then starting the flash utility and reflashing it.
> Works fine, isn't everybody's thing maybe, though.

This is the "How lucky do you feel?" method <g>. Seriously, though, a lot
of newer boards use a PLCC form-factor BIOS. I'd like to see someone
extract one of those from an up-and-running motherboard, pop the bad one
in and flash it without letting the magic smoke out of something along the
way.

Steve