Re: gcc-2.8.0 miscompiles kernel

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:21:05 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, David Monniaux wrote:

> Another experience: I compiled linux-2.0.33 with egcs snapshot 22 Jan 98.
> Booting went fine, but when I started X, X segfaulted.

You did replace the arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c ? You will always segfault
on applications writing to IO ports if you don't.

My kernel is a 2.0.33 with the 2.1.7X ioport.c and a small patch to avoid
the warnings in include/asm-i386/string.h (replaced the 3: by
default:) compiled by egcs-980115 and it's running fine.

> Recompiling with gcc-2.7.2.1 (I should upgrade this one) gave perfect
> results.

If you want to be sure to have everything working, use 2.7.2.X.

> I must say that the same snapshot of egcs compiled KDE so that any program
> in that package segfaulted when started... :-)

I also had this, but KDE Beta3 compiled by egcs-980205 is fine. There's
one bug in the distribution (kdegames) though which is found by egcs but
can be easily corrected.

> I shall try again with a more recent snapshot.

Yes.

Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>
PGP key on http://www.student.physik.uni-dortmund.de/homepages/garloff