Re: umsdos/uvfat

Tuukka Toivonen (tuukkat@ees2.oulu.fi)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 20:19:31 +0200 (EET)

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, James Mastros wrote:

>Shitty one: If you were implementing vfat, how would you do it? Exactly the
>same way, I'm betting. Umsdos is just as much a bad hack.

I'm running MS-DOS 5.0 (besides Linux 2.0.33). I like to sometimes store
long filenames on my FAT partition (to access them from DOS too). I use
UMSDOS and it works fine. What happens if I'd use VFAT?

When I'd delete VFAT files under DOS, MS-DOS del would leave the long
filename entries in to the directory. Right? And then I couldn't remove the
directory, because it wouldn't be empty. DIR just wouldn't show any files
in it. I would panic and think that my FAT partition has crashed.

Now, with UMSDOS there are not problems at all: UMSDOS doesn't create
strange hidden files.

UMSDOS isn't nearly as bad hack (IMHO).

I know nobody counts my vote, but I'd vote anyway to keep the UMSDOS
working.