Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Motherboards

John Gotts (jgotts@umich.edu)
Sun, 08 Feb 1998 18:19:35 -0500

In message <Pine.LNX.3.96.980202183746.8340A-100000@scan.shodor.org>, "Simon's
Mailing List Account" writes:

>On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Woodstock wrote:

>(then again, there still isn't anything out there, including Asus,
>that's a worth successor to the P55T2P4)

I'd have to say that the ASUS P/I-P65UP5 is a worthy successor for Pentium
processors. (You can also equip the board with Pentium Pros or Pentium II's
up to 266 MHz for more money.) Of course, it is a _dual_ CPU motherboard.

Pentium 233 MMX's are going for about $189. The motherboard plus the Pentium
daughtercard sells for under $300. You can use all of your existing memory
because the board supports 8 SIMM's and 512 MB of memory (all cached by the HX
chipset on the daughtercard). (It seems like all of the newer ASUS boards are
dropping SIMM support in favor of DIMM's...) Finally, the board has 5 PCI and
3 ISA slots.

http://www.asus.com.tw/Products/SPEC/P6/pi-p65up5.html

--
John GOTTS <jgotts@engin.umich.edu> http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~jgotts