Re: warnings while compiling 2.1.81

Wed, 28 Jan 1998 13:32:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:

> Thomas Molina writes:
> > ppp.c:3181: warning: `ppp_register_compressor' defined but not used
> > ppp.c:3208: warning: `ppp_unregister_compressor' defined but not used
>
> I have a patch for this:
>
> <ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/patch/ppp-warning.2182>
>
> It turns out that ppp_register_compressor and ppp_unregister_compressor
> are used only when CONFIG_MODULES is defined, so I slapped a
> #ifdef CONFIG_MODULES around their definitions.

Erm, bsd_comp, and ppp_deflate are always built as modules, because of
pattent issues in bsd_comp's case, and I assume that ppp_deflate is just
followning bsd_comp's lead ;). Basically if you slap a #ifdef
CONFIG_MODULES arround them, you can't use compressors when ppp is
builtin. I think this is a case where the only option is to live with
the warning, or make gcc think that something uses them.

> Thomas, this is the same patch you tested. It works for me too.
> So if no one else has a problem with it, I'll send it to Linus in
> about 24 hours.
>
> Michael Chastain
> <mailto:mec@shout.net>
> "love without fear"

Bryn

--
PGP Pub key http://www.gytha.demon.co.uk/pubkey.asc      ID: 1024/30AF2D69
On-line, adj.:         FP: FC 4E 41 9E 64 C3 AB 28 A3 5A 57 F8 CC D9 A7 B8