Re: Disappearing files under NFS

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 09:16:39 -0500

Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> I have been testing 2.1.81-pre-1 on my Alpha by attempting a 'make
> bootstrap' of egcs-1.0.1. It's been dying periodically with "..no such
> file or directory.." errors. Invariably, the file purported to be missing
> is actually there and the build can be restarted successfully. Naturally,
> there is no consistency as to which file vanishes <g>.

Hi Steve,

I haven't seen any problems of this sort, so maybe you could run some
tests to narrow down the possibilities. If you try capturing a ls -lR to
a file and repeat it a few times, do you get consistent results? Is it
only certain directories that disappear? Do changes in rsize and wsize
have any effect?

Since Alpha has a different page size, some of the internal structures
are different, so you may be triggering a problem hidden on Intel
machines.

Regards,
Bill