Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:39:30 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998, Kamran wrote:

> Hi,
>
> James Mastros wrote:
> >On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, linux kernel account wrote:
> [...]
> >> * Possibly DIPC integration, at least some of the
> >> clustering features that arn't WAY out there. (support
> >> for a daemon providing shared pid space)
> >Not hard to add as a patch, [...]
>
> It is hard for the DIPC development team to prepare the patches for the
> new kernels.

Exactly why I mentioned it.. along with shared pid space.. Both would be
relitavly low cost to maintain within the kernel, but I'm sure the
developers have a helluva time keeping up.

Once these basics are in, its alot less work for people trying to do more
advanced cluster stuff..

> > [...] and I think it's going to stay that way till we
> >see some standard for DIPC. [...]
>
> DIPC changes some standard UNIX mechanisms (System V IPC), in a _very_
> compatible way, to do its work.
>
> > [...] (BTW -- DIPC != clustering -- Distributed
> >Interprocess Communication)
>
> Depends on your definition of clustering. Windows NT has "clustering", but
> it is more about fault tolerance. A page-based distributed shared memory
> system is really hard to find on commercial operating systems.
>
> I think DIPC is a very useful addition to Linux, and it would be better for
> it to get into the standard kernels as soon as possible. We have been
> tracking Linux kernel releases for about two years (DIPC has been usable
> right from its first "alpha" release), and have been forced to adapt DIPC's
> kernel patches to the changes people make there. I and other people working
> on DIPC can not continue doing so for ever.

I've played with it a bit (earley releases) and I've found it to work
rather well (well, a bit slow when I used it.. But hey it was alpha)..

This really should be included..