Re: 2.0.33: 21140 and Oversized Ethernet frame

Jonathan A. Davis (jonathan@evergreen.otr.usm.edu)
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 01:15:18 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 18 Dec 1997, Dave Wreski wrote:

> eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, status 7fffceff!
> eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, status 061981a6!
> eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, status 7fffceff!
> eth0: Oversized Ethernet frame spanned multiple buffers, status 061f81a2!

I've been seeing the same thing on a set of systems that are (temporarily)
on a 100Mb hub deadending into a Catalyst 5000. As soon as some cabling
is in, they'll all be on the Catalyst. :-)

Haven't seen any harm in the message per se. Also, doesn't seem to happen
on systems coming direct into the Catalyst. These machines are also doing
a lot of NFS, plus some fairly heavy Mysql traffic between them.

BTW, all the systems have SMC Etherpower I (Tulip) or Asante' (also Tulip)
cards.

Cheers,

-Jonathan < >
Jonathan A. Davis * The University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg
Box 5171, Hattiesburg, MS 39406 * (601) 266-4107 * Fax: (601) 266-6264
jonathan.davis@usm.edu * Internet Services Administrator at large... :-)
Unix IS user friendly. It's just more choosy about who its friends are...