Re: RAID1 under 2.0.32

Linas Vepstas (linas@fc.net)
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 00:14:00 -0600

--------------F92F9D61E86311C3EC1D6EB8

David Mansfield wrote:

> Hello, I've been trying to decide whether to set up a production web
> server/dial-in server using the RAID 1 mirroring. I've set it up and it
> seems to work OK but I've gotten a couple of oopses and a lot of
> interesting syslog kernel messages.
>
> Pentium 150.
> 64 MB ram.
> No ide drives
> Adaptec 2940UW with 2x Quantum HD

FWIW,The previous email described some of my scsii problems.
(partitions dreated by DPT adapter cause kernel to hang in boot
when DPT is replaced with adaptec 2940au). this kernel was not
yet patched with raid.

One "rumour" that I heard was that "changes in the scsi subsystem
for 2.0.32 were so extensive that the aic7xxx driver broke" although
I have no way of verifying the truth/falsehood of this.

Therefore, I may as well spread the rumour ...

Can you try 2.0.29 w/ raid 1, and see if the problems continue?

--
Linas Vepstas   -- linas@fc.net.no.spam.please -- http://linas.org/

--------------F92F9D61E86311C3EC1D6EB8 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit