Re: eth0 and ifconfig problems with 2.1.72

Tuomas Heino (tbittih@xgw.fi)
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 22:49:52 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 14 Dec 1997, Geoff Hoff wrote:

> Posted this before, got ignored.
>
> I use bootp to get my address. Under 2.1.66 I could do
> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 broadcast 255.255.255.255 netmask 0.0.0.0
> run bootp, get my address, and re-ifconfig to the proper address.
>
> Now since 2.1.68, when I do a:
>
> ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0 broadcast 255.255.255.255 netmask 0.0.0.0
>
> it returns:
>
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: Cannot assign requested address
> SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Cannot assign requested address
>
> What's going on? I just want it to work. Flame me or something, I just don't
> want to be ignored <grin>.

--- from Documentation/Configure.help: ---
IP: kernel level autoconfiguration
CONFIG_IP_PNP
This enables automatic configuration of IP addresses of devices and
of the routing table during kernel boot, based on either information
supplied at the kernel command line or by BOOTP or RARP protocols.
You need to say Y only for diskless machines requiring network access
to boot (see CONFIG_ROOT_NFS for more information about root volume
mounted via NFS), because all other machines configure the network in
their startup scripts.

BOOTP support
CONFIG_IP_PNP_BOOTP
If you want your Linux box to mount its whole root filesystem from
some other computer over the net via NFS and you want the IP address
of your computer to be discovered automatically at boot time using
the BOOTP protocol (a special protocol designed for doing this job),
say Y here. In case the boot ROM of your network card was designed
for booting Linux and does BOOTP itself, providing all necessary
information on the kernel command line, you can say N here. If
unsure, say Y. Note that in case you want to use BOOTP, a BOOTP
server must be operating on your network. Read
Documentation/nfsroot.txt for details.
Hmm don't have time to explain it more, gotta report bugs ;)