Re: Conditional SymLinks

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:57:44 +0100 (MET)

Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> Yep, you won't actually be using it. Policy does of course
> go into the kernel since it must. What daemon is PID 1? Why?
> Who sets the permissions in /proc? Why?
>
> Arguments to keep policy out of the kernel are too often just
> excuses to get rid of some feature that you don't personally
> want to have.

That's not a nice way to talk to Linus. :-)

Anyway, in this case, nothing has to go into the kernel. If I'd write
this stuff, I'd say add a proc file where you can add variables.

/etc/csh.login:
echo HOME $HOME > /proc/variables
echo MACHINE `hostname` > /proc/variables

use "cat /proc/variables" to look at your current settings.

That would allow the symlink

ls -l /tmp/
drwxrwxrwt 13 root root 41984 Dec 12 16:53 /tmp -> /home/$HOME/tmp

to start working, along with a few other goodies.

Really just some extra stuff in the fs-independant symlink handler.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a