Re: Console handling (was: Re: Let's vote for PnP on 2.2)

Lance Dillon (riffraff@gte.net)
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 00:19:43 -0500

Linux Developer wrote:

> On 10 Dec 1997, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > Followup to: <199712100251.VAA15925@jupiter.cs.uml.edu>
> > By author: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
> > In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

> > > You can go from a known state to a known state.
> > > You can go from any state to an unknown state -- useless.
> > > Sorry, you can't get to a known state from an unknown state.
> > Sure you can. It's pretty common to do so. In fact, whenever you
> > initialize hardware, this is usually exactly what you do.
>
> Actually, a variation of this idea that I just came up with after
> remembering some problems I've had in the past.
>
> If you have a Permedia2 chipset card, and you run X, it will cause the
> card to 'die' 9 times out of 10. If it were possible to cause the card to
> return to a known state, via a sort of 'reset,' which could be done blind,
> it would be an EXCELLENT thing for situations like that. Heck, I think it
> might even be possible to add it into the actual 'reset' command. Add a
> flag "-c".
>
> -c - Soft 'resets' video card, in case of emergency. NOT RECOMMENDED
>
> Just a suggestion. :)

ive sort of got a problem like that myself right now...

ive got the old diamond stealth 32 card (vlb)....when i exit X for the
first time (or just switch back to one of the text consoles), it doesnt
restore the frequency for the monitor properly....

what i have to do is run the diamondclock program that is available in
sunsite, under X11/servers...it creates a program called freq which will
reset the frequency....then i run freq 28.15 1, which i put in a script
called rs to make it easy...

now, the first time i switch consoles in an X session, or exit X, i just
run rs, and it resets everything for me...

of course, i wish it wouldnt do it at all, but i just have to deal with
it until i get a real computer...

--
Lance Dillon                   | "Not in the face,
UNIX/NT Sysadmin               |  not in the face!"