Re: Console in 2.1.72

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 17:43:55 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 11 Dec 1997, David Woodhouse wrote:
> >From 2.1.72 Documentation/devices.txt:
> > The console device, /dev/console, is the device to which system
> > messages should be sent, and on which logins should be permitted in
> > single-user mode. Starting with Linux 2.1.71, /dev/console is managed
> > by the kernel; for previous versions it should be a symbolic link to
> > either /dev/tty0, a specific virtual console such as /dev/tty1, or to
> > a serial port primary (tty*, not cu*) device, depending on the
> > configuration of the system.
>
> I dutifully removed /dev/console, which was a link to tty0, and made the new
> node, (as I'm sure everyone did when they read the changes in the documentation
> <G>)
>
> Didn't work though - I just got lots of complaints from init that it
> couldn't open /dev/console

This is the usual error message you get when you try an older kernel with the
new /dev/console. Are you sure

- you're running 2.1.71 or higher?

- /dev/console is a character device with major 5, minor 1?

I've been using the new /dev/console since about 2.1.4x (with the correct
kernel patches, of course :-)

Greetings,

Geert

--