Re: To Intel or not to Intel, that is the question. (And hardware compatability)

B. James Phillippe (bryan@Terran.ORG)
Sat, 22 Nov 1997 18:35:58 -0800 (PST)

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Jason Burrell wrote:

> motherboard. I was looking into getting an SMP motherboard and slopping
> two Cyrix 6x86 200s on it. I can get the 6x86s for about $130 or so but I

Cyrix and AMD CPU's can only do SMP on chipsets supporting OpenPIC, and to
my knowledge, no such motherboard presently exists (someone correct me if
I'm wrong). As for the pricing, make sure you check www.pricewatch.com
before you buy anything.

> P-IIs are too expensive particularly after you add in the motherboard
> cost. It would be a shame to go buy a Genuine Intel Pentium with the
> F00FC7C8 bug. The Cyrix 6x86-PR200s are around $130, but have their fixed
> the FPU suckage yet? A year or so ago the Cyrix had an absolutely horrible

Of the x86 family, I do not know of any CPU with a faster FPU than Intel.
Note that the Cyrix chips have at least one bug of their own, having
nearly the same affect on the chip as the Pentium exploit. The workaround
is not as effective as the Pentium one, nor is it built into the kernel.

> ghostscript, yada yada yada) and run X11 but don't want to spend an arm
> and a leg which processor would be the best to get (opinions, of course)?

Pricewatch puts the AMDK6/PR166 at $115. You can get a decent mainboard
for under a $100, as well.

Good luck,
-bp

--
B. James Phillippe <bryan@Terran.ORG>
UNIX, Linux, networks, C, Perl, Java, etc.