Re: Ideas for memory management hackers (2)

Rik van Riel (H.H.vanRiel@fys.ruu.nl)
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 13:27:10 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Mitch Davis wrote:

> Rob Hagopian wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, teunis wrote:
> >
> > > You'll never notice - unless you decide to create a >128M swapfile (i386)
> > > and then you'll discover 2.0.x can't handle such swap sizes.....
> > > [and it will (hopefully?) be ignored...]
> >
> > Is it possible to have another partition type? That would eliminate any
> > compatibility problems between the two...
>
> No, because the current mkswap and swapon don't look at the partition
> type. It's for the user's convenience only.

If you're still 'version-hopping', then you shouldn't create
>128M swapfiles. It won't work with old kernels. People manage
to make lots of swapfiles now (OK, it might be a nuisance), but
it's not a serious problem. If some new kernel were to support
HUGE swapfiles, and you really NEEDED that functionality, you
wouldn't jump back to older kernels. If the old kernel works, you
apparantly don't NEED the functionality of HUGE swapfiles...

Rik.

Send Linux memory-management wishes to me: I'm currently looking
for something to hack...