Re: Kernel 2.0.31

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Mon, 27 Oct 1997 01:06:31 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Marc Christensen wrote:

> Q: If I delete all partitions, re-fdisk with the same parameters, will my
> data still be intact?

Yes. If you create exactly the same partition table, you won't loose any
data. (Please don't blame me, if you do. I just see no reason for losing
data as the partition table does not overlap with data and I did it many
times without loosing anythin.)

Be careful when making logical drives (MSDOS compatible partition
handling): The Logical drives are managed in a sort of linked list. The
information is written to the first sector of your logical drive and the
data starts somewhere behind. You loose some space for this on ext2
partitions but not on FAT partitions (do they have space to take this
info ?). Look out for the '+' sign behind the number of blocks fdisk
reports.
So: Never change the type of a logical drive without having a backup of
the neighbouring partitions, because you MIGHT loose data.

Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>