RE: 2 ways to fix Intel 430TX reboot problem

Lindgren, Fredrik (fli@solnet.sollentuna.se)
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 21:33:14 +0200

On Sunday, October 05, 1997 8:34 PM, John Shifflett
[SMTP:jshiffle@netcom.com] wrote:

> > I have a brand new Triton II TX motherboard and linux doesn't
> > want to boot on it, it starts booting, recognizes the PCI chipsets,
> > calculates the delay loops, starts the kernel threads (kswapd
> > and bdflus), checks the parallel, checks the serials and reboots.
>
> I had this trouble with my new Iwill P55UXW motherboard, which
> uses the same chipset, I assume (430TX). On my system, it
> reboots just like yours _if_ there is no PS2 mouse plugged
> into the mouse port!!!! If I turn the computer off, plug in
> a PS2 mouse, and turn it back on, Linux has no trouble! Not
> sure why this happens, or whether the bug is in Linux or the
> motherboard BIOS, because I have read messages claiming that
> programming the flash BIOS with an _older_ version will also
> cure the reboot.

This sounds somewhat like what happens on our Compaq
Deskpro 6000. It reboots if the kernel is compiled without
support for PS/2 mouse. With PS/2 mouse support compiled
in it boots with or without the mouse attached.

Regards,
Fredrik Lindgren