Re: A more accurate System.map, including modules

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 15:56:56 +1000

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> Followup to: <199709212301.JAA06058@vindaloo.atnf.CSIRO.AU>
> By author: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>
> In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel
> >
> > This is a good step forward, but it requires that after you get an
> > oops enough of the system is still left running that you can run
> > ksymoops. I've had a few cases where syslogd is still logging, but I
> > can't run commands. Going back later (after a reboot) and running
> > make_System_map.pl doesn't work because the location of modules has
> > changed. This is especially the case for people running kerneld.
> > What about modifying klogd to do the things ksymoops does?
>
> Suggestion: make insmod log the location of each module in the system
> log, or have the kernel output that information ("kernel: loaded
> module foo at 0xe0801130). Then one could use that information from
> the system log to decode the oops, without involving /proc/ksyms.

It seems people dislike the klogd idea, even if it does everything
that ksymoops is proposing to do. Why? It seems to me (a modified)
klogd has the advantage of not requiring you to do anything to extract
a meaningful log.

Regards,

Richard....