Re: 3C589 PCMCIA ether support in 2.0.30 ?

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 21:41:30 +0200 (Funky)

Hi,

Marty Leisner wrote:

>> Note that the 3com card cannot deal with long (more than a few meters)
>> 10base-T cables.
>>
>> This *sucks*.
>
>Ummm...I'm using a 50ft cable with no problems (so it seems) with the 3c589
>PCMCIA.

Hmm, maybe they have improved the external box. I max out at five to ten
meters or so, depending on cable quality. Others (at HIP'97) have had the
same experience with the things.

The adapter came with a wimpy unshielded excuse for a four-foot cable.

Fortunately, there do exist small hubs with keyboard power adapters...
Unfortunately that kills the battery lifetime, but if you need a cable in
the first place you can as well use a long extension cord too. :-/

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH