Re: Free vs Unused pages?

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 15:28:21 -0400

Benjamin C R LaHaise wrote:
> Pages that are allocated but have a use count of zero are of order >0 -
> only the first page of such chunks actually have a use count of 1
> (anything else would just be evil). Hope that clears it up for you!

Thanks, much clearer now. But my next question would be how to
distinguish such order > 0 pages from memory-leaked pages. I'd like to
modify the show_mem function so that its "free pages" count exactly
agrees with the freelist, in the absence of leaks.

When an order > 0 page is released, does the memory allocator sweep up
all trailing adjacent pages with count = 0 and assume they were part of
the initial allocation?

Regards,
Bill