Re: AMD K6 and unresolved symbols..

Jeff Wiegley (jeff@w3-design.com)
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 13:23:21 -0700

OH OH OH OH OH!! Mr. Kotter!!!!.....

*You*, my friend, have a system which we could *really* use a test on!!

(that is if somebody else can fix your unresolved symbols problem,
sorry).

anyways. The AMD K6 has a serious problem when installed in machines
which
have more than 32Meg such as yours.

You can get gobs of information at http://www.creaweb.fr/bpc/k6bug.html.

basically when compiling a hundred kernels in a row you will find that
the
machine generates signal 11 errors in approx 10% of the runs.

The bug has been demonstrated on Linux, FreeBSD, Windows NT, Windows 95
and
OS/2. It doesn't matter what your memory timings are or at what speed
the
K6 is run at.

The only things that seem to matter are: you have a K6 and you have more
than 32Meg of RAM = errors.

*YOU QUALIFY!!*

but... one thing that has not been reported to our knowledge is whether
the Intel 430xx chipsets have anything to do with it so we have been
looking
for a linux knowledgable soul who has a a non Intel chipset board.

Your board is VIA590 based!!!

would you *PRETTY PLEASE* run the burnit script found on
http://www.creaweb.fr/bpc/k6bug.html
and tell me what the results are after compiling 200 kernels?

it will only take about 12 hours of time. So you can let it run
overnight.

This would be a HUGE help in nailing down this problem. (and then you
can
probably join our happy troop of people with bad K6s, or if you're lucky
you can get to laugh at us for having Intel chips on our board ;-)

Thanks!!

- Jeff Wiegley

--

J E F F  W I E G L E Y

W 3 - d e s i g n,  I n c.

phone: (310) 815-1177 x 307 fax:(310) 815-1133