Re: nis problem in new nfs (2.1.50 vs. 2.1.42)

Swen Thuemmler (swen@uni-paderborn.de)
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:21:00 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Christoph Trautwein wrote:

> I can't run nis on 2.1.50 because of the following strange
> problem:
>
> The nis code (see below) opens a file, then deletes it, but
> keeps the fd. I use nis on my diskless clients. Tracing nis
> gives me
> open(...)
> truncate(...)
> unlink(...)
> read(...)
> as expected. The difference between 2.1.42 and 2.1.50 is,
> that the read returns a "NFS stale handle" on 2.1.50.
> This causes nis to quit.
>
> I know that the nis code is very ugly, but I think the
> nfs code should support it. (Hi Olaf!!)

Well, I hope you are a recent version of ypbind (3.3 is latest). If you
read the manpage, you will find the option -ipc:
-ipc lets ypbind use IPC for the master-slave communica­
tion. It requires a kernel with IPC enabled. You
must use this, if your root-Filesystem is on NFS.

So use ypbind -ipc, an it should work well. Another option would be the
BSD ypbind, which is included in the Debian NIS package.

Oh, and why is the ypbind code ugly? (ok, just kidding...:-))

--Swen