Re: TCP patches for 2.1.50

Andreas Kleen (ak@muc.de)
Wed, 20 Aug 1997 11:14:13 +0200

[cc'd to linux-kernel]

> From: Andreas Kleen <ak@muc.de>
> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 1997 16:20:49 +0200
>
> I sometimes had a solid lockup on my machine, but I suspect now
> that it is related to the dcache code, so I'll release this code
> anyways @) Please test this stuff and send me feedback.
>
> When you got these lockups, would the machine respond to magic
> keyboard keystrokes (ie. interrupts still coming in) etc.?

Nope, interrupts were turned off and it seemed that the bug overwrote
the VGA memory - there were stange colors and many nice characters from
the IBM graphics chartable scattered over the screen. It seemed the system
tried to print out an oops before it died, but the message was completely
unreadable because of the mangled screen memory. It was always (3-4 times)
the same pattern on the screen (red colors, with white male/female signs
[didn't know BTW that the IBM-PC charsets includes this one] and some
traces of an oops or kernel panic inbetween]. Very strange.

I'm running 2.1.50+patches (happened with 2.1.51pre1 too) and have a Matrox
Millenium.

-Andi