Re: Killing clones (threads)

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 16:23:49 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Strictly speaking, a "kill all threads" functionality in kill() violates
> POSIX (as kill() should deliver zero or one signal to threads, but never
> more than one), but I'm not sure if we really care about this heavily
> theoretical argument ...

Um, I care. The posix semantics look necessary for writing a server which
allows the admin to communicate with it via signals. For example, were I
to do a pthread Apache tomorrow I would run into a huge problem if SIGHUP
or SIGUSR1 were delivered to all threads. Yeah I can work around it by
using a unix domain socket or other means to allow communication.

Dean