Re: aic7xxx / AHA2940 worries... anyone?

Daniel M. Eischen (deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org)
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 23:20:03 -0500 (CDT)

> I would switch to any of 2.1.29 or 2.1.48. 2.1.29 was very stable for me
> with adaptec AHA2940UW. 2.1.48 is pretty solid with AHA2940UW but I can
> crash it with a sufficient number of serial executions of Bonnie on a 1GB
> or larger file.=20

2.1.48 has a completely new aic7xxx driver in it; it is much more
stable than the previous driver. The aic7xxx controllers seem to
be very sensitive to termination, so if you have any problems be
sure to look at this.

> I think that there is a reliability problem either in the driver or
> adapter for 2940UW. I have been having failures ever since 2.1.29 (though
> not quite as bad as yours) that seem to have gone away when using the
> BusLogic BT-958 and the Asus PCI-SC875. With those two cards, I can run
> Bonnie on 2GB files all day long (I have been doing just that today) with
> no problems.=20

How's your SCSI bus laid out (what devices on what cables, where is
termination, etc) and what options do you have enabled in the driver?

YOu should probably move this to the aic7xxx mailing list.

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org