Re: Kernel-Messages translation

Stephan Meyer (sensei@wiesel.de)
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 18:27:54 +0200 (MET DST)

On Fri, 20 Jun 1997, Rafal Maszkowski wrote:
> 2. English-only hackers should still be able to understand all the
> messages. Using messages identifiers is not enough, although it may be
> useful anyway. The only way is to display messages in both languages,
> or to make it configuration option at least (to configure pl+en or
> en or even pl+en+de?).

Very good point IMHO.

> 4. The translation should be available as compiled-in and as a standalone
> kernel module. It can't be a user space program because it won't work
> during the kernel startup.

This is a very humble attempt to participate in the discussion.

I would strongly vote for kernel modules, one for each language. If the
kernel modules are not there, English should be compiled in as a
fall-back. I wouldn't mind the extra space used up and with today's
computers having about 16MB, it shouldn't be an issue. If one needs to run
a 4MB DNS server (etc.), he doesn't need to compile it in.

A good reason for using modules is that they can easily be integrated in
binary linux distributions. There should be no need to recompile in order
to change the language.

Stephan Meyer
Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com
http://pobox.com/~stephan.meyer/
2A 64 F0 73 02 91 10 FC 18 CC 83 1E E2 2C 7E 79
finger stephan.meyer@pobox.com