Re: kerneld/multicast bug (tickled by gated)

Mon, 16 Jun 1997 00:56:44 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Brian Candler wrote:

> > > Red Hat 4.1 has the modules-2.0.0 package. As far as I can see, kerneld
> > > forks before execlp()ing the script so I have no idea how this can cause the
> > > blocking.
> > >

> > Hmm, have you tried a later modules package (be careful to remove the old
> > modules package first, as rpm -U won't work) ?
>
> I checked at
>
> ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/Linux/PEOPLE/Linus/v2.0/modules-*
>
> and 2.0.0 is the latest there. If there is a later version please point me
> at it...

Hmm, since Linus moved to the US, he's putting stuff out on ftp.kernel.org
(everything in *.kernel.org is linux related ;). The kernel source is in
/pub/linux/kernel/v?.?.

The easist way is to go to ftp.redhat.com, and do 'site exec locate mod'
(it's a locate database of there ftp server, just ignore the /ftp on the
start of the paths), rember everything (I think) after modules-2.0.0 is
called modutils-<ver>.

Last I looked, they had the binary (alpha) and source rpm for
modutils-2.1.34, they have the tar.gz as well, so you can use that if you
want. To build a binary package from a source one, you just install it,
and then "rpm -ba <package>.spec". The .spec is usally in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS/<package>.spec. See rpm(8), and
/usr/doc/rpm-<version>/* for docs ;).

> Thanks,
>
> Brian.

Bryn
PS have to go away for a week, from this morning (monday), until friday
evening or so ...

--
PGP key pass phrase forgotten,   \ Overload -- core meltdown sequence
again :( and I don't care ;)      |            initiated.