Re: scsidisk I/O error: sector number display

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@work.smurf.noris.de)
15 Jun 1997 10:10:50 +0200

"Leonard N. Zubkoff" <lnz@dandelion.com> writes:

> Mar 10 04:00:54 kernel: scsidisk I/O error: dev 08:02, sector 347470
>
> It's intended to be partition-relative, since the device that is reported is
> not the underlying disk drive. In this example, 08:02 == /dev/sda2, so it
> makes sense for it to be a relative sector. Partition-relative makes the most
> sense from the standpoint of someone who has to figure out which file system
> has been damaged by the error.

Absolute numbers make sense from the standpoint of someone who wants to map
out the bad sectors manually (with a SCSI tool), assuming that the disk
doesn't auto-remap bad sectors (which is a bad idea when reading).

Simple solution: Print both.

--
You'll wish that you had done some of the
hard things when they were easier to do.