Re: Linux 2.0.30 loosing HD space?

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Tue, 10 Jun 1997 14:46:45 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
>I have a couple of linux 2.0.30 servers where free space is slowly
>vanishing.
>
>[root@dark /]# du -x /
>829401 /
>
>[root@dark /]# df
>Filesystem 1024-blocks Used Available Capacity Mounted on
>/dev/hda2 1501968 1319340 105013 93% /
>
>829 MB sounds much more right than the 1.319 MB that df is reporting.
^^^^^^
How did you measure this?

If you delete a file that's still opened by another process, the disk space
won't be reclaimed until that process closes the file. This may be the reason.

Greetings,

Geert

--
Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be