Re: Problem with pppd

Amy (root@internet-frontier.net)
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 12:53:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 8 Jun 1997, Enrico Lorenzetti wrote:
> I' ve got a strange and annoying problem with pppd on two Linux Boxes.

> Every now and then pppd doesn't seem to detect the loss of the carrier and
> keeps running. Obviously at this point mgetty can't regain control of the
> serial line and nobody can connect to that modem.
> After a while (generally a few hours) the pppd process nearly chokes the
> CPU (the top command has reported a 212% usage once, and generally reports
> a 90+% CPU usage when this problem appears) and nobody can connect to any
> modem.
> Killing the process solves the problem.

I have experienced this too, and at least in all the cases here, the
problem has been WinNT. If the option "Accept only encrypted
authentication" is selected, the WinNT system will *never* be able to
login to the Linux system, and you will experience the CPU hogging and
hund pppd processes. If you change the option to "Accept any
authentication including plain text", the user can login without problems.

The option in question is under My Computer->Dial-up
Networking->Properties->Security->Authentication and Encryption Policy

Hope this helps

Amy :)