Re: low memory buffer cachebug fix, need some testers...

Hubert Mantel (mantel@suse.de)
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 12:39:15 +0200 (MEST)

Hello,

On Mon, 9 Jun 1997, David S. Miller wrote:

> This should apply to any recent 2.0.3X kernel, I believe it should
> help with the situations such as "my 4MB ram machine hangs when you
> try to make a 9gb ext2 partition with mke2fs" and this sort of thing.

Sorry, it doesn't help. With this patch applied, I'm still unable to
create a 1G filesystem on a machine with 4MB RAM. Even 6MB aren't enough.
Kernel is plain pre-2.0.31-2 with only your patch applied.

If you consider your patch as a starting point for further development I'm
willing to install a so-patched kernel on some of our workstations and on
our kernel compile server to test it out.

Hubert mantel@suse.de