Re: huge uptime

Ton Nijkes (tonn@wau.mis.ah.nl)
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 18:23:03 GMT

On Tue, 22 Apr 1997 09:13:49 -0400 (EDT), Illuminati Primus <vermont@gate.net> wrote:
> I believe this may be related to a similar problem I have at school: Some
> students, instead of logging out of the linux machine, turn off the dumb
> terminals I've set up (yeah I tell them not to).. So this leaves them
> logged in indefinetly, and Ive found that any attempt to write to their
> ttys causes that process to hang and become unkillable.

You could try configuring you tty devices as dial-in devices. That is,
enabling modem-control by clearing the CLOCAL flag.
As soon as the terminal is switched off, the DTR line will drop and the
connection will be closed. Of course the wiring and the terminal will have
to support DTR.

See ya,
Ton

    //
   //      Ton Nijkes                          Email: ton@murphy.nl /
  //|\ ||  Murphy Software BV,                        tonn@wau.mis.ah.nl
 //||\\||  P.O. Box 285,                       Voice: +31 (0)53 4320055