Re: profiling the kernel

Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se
Tue, 22 Apr 1997 17:46:48 +0200

"John Brosnan" <johnbros@iol.ie> writes:
>I'm looking for any tools/ideas to help profile the Linux TCP/UDP stacks,
>where the time is spent, etc. I'm guess I'm looking for a 'kernel' gprof.

Look in the kernel archives for the last month or two for Ingo Molnar's
posts about his new kernel tracing tool called ktracer. This is just
what the doctor ordered.

BTW, since David Miller and I are currently ripping the TCP/UDP code apart
and redoing stuff, are you doing this profiling just out of general
interest, or is there some specific performance problem you want
addressed that we might have overlooked?

--
Eric Schenk                               www: http://www.dna.lth.se/~erics
Dept. of Comp. Sci., Lund University          email: Eric.Schenk@dna.lth.se