Re: Calling do_mknod() from init_module()

Jens-Uwe Mager (jum@anubis.han.de)
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 17:49:26 GMT

In article <mng==9704030451.AA21529@dcl.MIT.EDU>, "Theodore Y. Ts'o"
<tytso@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> It's generally not the Unix philosophy to do this. In general kernel
> driver routines don't dictate what the /dev name is, so that system
> administrators can choose ones other than the standard convention if
> they *really* want.

I think this is the _old_ Unix philosophy from times where all drivers
were linked into the kernel all the time. I believe that creating devices
on the fly on module load is a good thing, Solaris, AIX and DGUX do it,
for instance. I find it rather intuitive from a user interface standpoint
- what no /dev entry for your device? Get the driver for the new device
and load it.
Jens-Uwe Mager jum@anubis.han.de
30177 Hannover jum@helios.de
Brahmsstr. 3 Tel.: +49 511 660238