Re: URGENT: A Plea to the owners of linux.dev.kernel

Frohwalt Egerer (froh@twins.iconsult.com)
3 Apr 1997 18:50:29 +0200

tel1dvw@is.ups.com (Dave Wreski) writes:

>On Wed, 2 Apr 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
>> I've noticed that when the mailing list got gatewayed to USENET, the
>> average quality of the postings went *way* down. At least (as far as I
>> know), most of the people who actually write code are still listening on
>> this list, even if they don't post as much these days.

>We can't necessarily prevent people from usenet from posting lame
>questions, but we could at least consider having an 'info' field on
>majordomo@vger. I remember subscribing, and seeing 'No info for
>linux-kernel'.

>How hard is this to implement? A simple message describing the acceptable
>content would seem to be a prudent first step.

We could send a montly FAQ describing the policy for posting in the
mailing list / gated news group. This wouldn't catch all newbies, but
at least those that actually care to read the group have a chance to
grasp the intention.

If posting a FAQ will be accepted I'd volunteer to maintain the kernel
mailing list FAQ and post it every month. Tell me 'go on' and I'll do
it ...

Froh

--
Frohwalt Egerer

8253440 bytes received in 1.43 seconds (5640.51 Kbytes/s)

-- ftp faui0n