Re: netinet includes

Charlie Ross (s253343@gettysburg.edu)
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 02:03:12 -0500 (EST)

On Sat, 22 Feb 1997, Stephen Davies wrote:

Actually these are the same ones I have, but my programs still dont work...
I'm trying to compile a packet sniffer, (dont worry its for net debug
purposes... for some reason out apple talk packets are getting clobbered
SOMTIMES by our router...) anyway... it complains as follows:

pcap-snoop.c:43: netinet/if_ether.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:44: netinet/ip_var.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:46: netinet/udp_var.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:48: netinet/tcpip.h: No such file or directory
gencode.c:34: netinet/if_ether.h: No such file or directory
nametoaddr.c:34: netinet/if_ether.h: No such file or directory
grammar.y:36: netinet/if_ether.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:43: netinet/if_ether.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:44: netinet/ip_var.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:46: netinet/udp_var.h: No such file or directory
pcap-snoop.c:48: netinet/tcpip.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [pcap-snoop.o] Error 1

You can see whay I thought I was missing files... but apparently I am
not... any Ideas? Is the netinet area of the kernel standard with the rest
of the world? Dont clobber me but... "It works on sunos"... I had the same
problem earlier with a program called nuke... it sent bogus ICMP packets...
but it wasnt for any real purpose and I had assumed that it was just
written wrong... but it complained about the icmp stuff in netinet too...
so I checked and it works on sunos too... whats the deal? are these
suppose to be standardized?

> The attached is from libc 5.4.13 and works well for me.
> The associated /usr/include/linux headers come with the kernel.
>
> Cheers,
> Stephen.
>
> >I have a question...
> >I have 2 or 2 programs that are trying to include various files in the
> >netinet directory... but most are not there and others are just WIERD...
> >icmp structs have changed.. not just shape, but name too... wierd.
> >
> >Can anyone point me to enlightment?
> >or possibly a "correct" netinet dir?
> >
> >Using 2.1.16

> Stephen Davies Consulting P/L scldad@sdc.com.au
> Adelaide, South Australia. Voice: 61-8-2728863
> Computing & Network solutions. Fax : 61-8-2741015
>
> begin 644 netinet.tar
[snip]
> end

-Chuck