Re: /proc file system, seems to -not- have standardisation ?

tenthumbs@cybernex.net
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 18:41:24 GMT

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 22:33:42 +0000 (GMT), you wrote:

> I think it is. Certainly if someone came up with a rational format for
> all of /proc, that _didnt_ clash with the existing /proc files I would
> be willing to go for it and to optionally support 'oldproc' files in
> 2.2, and lose them over a couple of years as the tools knew the newer
> formats.
>
> Whoever does it had better get it right however - we don't want to do
> that more than once
>
> Alan

If I were doing it (and who would want me to ;-)), I would go for something like
/proc/drivers
/proc/drivers/block
/proc/drivers/char
/proc/fs
/proc/net
/proc/arch
etc. Basically, follow the source code tree.

Since the whole filesystem is fake anyway, it should be possible to simulate
symlinks for the current files which would keep old code happy. Eventually, the
symlinks would disappear. For example, /proc/ioports becomes a symlink to
/proc/arch/ioports.

Just an idea.