Re: csum_partial_copy_fromuser

Michael L. Galbraith (mikeg@mikeg.weiden.de)
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:20:25 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Tom Dyas wrote:

> The "implementations" for csum_partial_copy_fromuser in 2.1.x are all
> currently just #define's over to csum_partial_copy. This is bad since
> userspace can pass bogus pointers and no exception handling is done
> resulting in an Oops. (I verified this with a small test program.)
>
> Tom

Hi Tom... glad you mentioned that.

Alan Cox says...
"The new exception handling is not implemented yet for copy and checksum.
Until some x86 assembly hacker gets bored it won't be."

I just got done sending my second message to an assembler hacker trying
to con him into fixing that... so far, no takers but it's early yet.

This is the perfect opportunity to save myself a lot of typing. Pester
all of 'em at once... very efficient.

Somewhere out there a bored assembler hacker must exist... doesn't even
have to be all that bored really.

-Mike