Re: Packaged Kernel

David S. Miller (davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu)
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 19:42:28 -0500

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:20:49 +0400 (GMT-4)
From: Duncan Hill <dhill@sunbeach.net>

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 bofh@snoopy.virtual.net.au wrote:

> If hard drive size and Internet connection speed double, then is the doubling
> of the kernel source archive size an issue?

When you consider that some people are at the wrong end of an overloaded
E1, or other such circuit (64K), and only get 100B/s, 6 megs is a _very_
long download. 12 megs is worse. It took me 12 hours to pull the A disk
set of slackware, at night.

You (for each major series of kernel source) need only grab the whole
thing once, then you need only grab the diffs (which unzipped usually
average around 400k for the development series). Most users would
kill me if I didn't do this for the sparc kernel snapshots.

Yow! 11.26 MB/s remote host TCP bandwidth & ////
199 usec remote TCP latency over 100Mb/s ////
ethernet. Beat that! ////
David S. Miller, davem@caip.rutgers.edu /_____________/ / // /_/ ><