Re: The kernel should try /sbin/sulogin first.

Mike Kilburn (mike@conexio.co.za)
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 17:44:07 +0200 (SAT)

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, [ISO-8859-1] Johan Myréen wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Mike Kilburn wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Nicolas Lichtmaier wrote:
> >
> > > - execve("/sbin/init",argv_init,envp_init);
> > > + execve("/sbin/sulogin",argv_init,envp_init);
> >
> > I dont think a fundamental change like this is a good i
>
> Relax. The change is not fundamental, just adding an execve("sulogin"). If

Well that depends on how you define fundamental :). There are
"systems" that have options which dont run init but also have sulogin
on the root file system for other configurations. For me it means a custom
app I wrote will have to be modified. Although the change is small it
still cost man-hours. I did not anticipate anyone would change that
behavior. It would be nice if stable kernels did not add new features but
just fixed bugs. I guess it all relative and I should not complain
considering how many man-hours I have saved with Linux. With the
black cloud of libc6 on the horizon I am a bit sensitive to compatibility
issues right now.